New York City is a must-visit city. Here are 8 things you should try there, with a special focus on food and culture.
1. Stay at the ‘hipster’ neighborhood of Williamsburg. A nice and relatively calm area to stay. Taking the subway to Manhattan is a must and there are many places to visit.
2. Have a nice and long walk around Lower Manhattan and enjoy the view at High Line Park at sunset time. This is former railway turned into a pedestrian walkway with lots of greenery and views on Manhattan.
3. Ellis Island is worth a visit to learn more about the history of immigration in the US. Though, bear in mind that there might be a long waiting time to catch the boat that takes you there.
4. Enjoy a cocktail with a view at The Standard Hotel High Line on the rooftop. Live music will entertain you while you watch the stunning view and the beautiful layout of the bar, which is open to everyone.
5. Taste authentic Neapolitan Pizzeria Gino & Toto Sorbillo. Enjoy the Calzone with Escarole. The wine selection is also good. Try their Greco di Tufo if you fancy white. For dessert, tiramisu, a classic that here will not disappoint you.
|Calzone with Escarola|
6. For a great burger, go to Juanchi’s in Williamsburg. Great selections of ingredients (I went for the grass-fed beef), craft beer, good price and a friendly service will make the experience one to remember.
7. If you are craving for coffee, Birch is actually a great option. As an Italian, I was quite impressed with their espressos. Also, there is a cozy atmosphere and you will find a few locations in the city.
8. Shop at Chelsea Market in Lower Manhattan. It features all sorts of restaurants and shops, including a wine shop with a wide variety and premium selection of fine wines. Walking around the market one realizes how much cosmopolitan food NYC offers.
|Spice Selection at Chelsea Market|
Here you have it: my 8 favourite things to do in one of USA’s best travel destinations.